Wednesday, July 21, 2010

14 Fun Facts About Reilly... A Birthday Post




Me: I can't believe that your birthday is Sunday. Do you realize that in a year you'll be eligible for your driving permit?
Reilly: Yeah, I really don't know how that's going to work out. I don't do so well with those race car games.

Yes, that was our conversation last week. I guess I should be worried about that statement, but Reilly is pretty careful and very meticulous in everything that she does, so I'm counting on that to be true of her driving as well. No need to worry before the fact, right?
I have been horrible about blogging lately. The other day, however, Reilly asked me if I would be writing about her upcoming birthday. I hadn't really given it much thought, but I figured if my daughter of very few words mentioned it, it must be important to her, so here it goes...

14 Fun Facts About Reilly:
1. She sets goals. Not only does she set goals, but she actually puts plans in place to make these goals happen. Remember the physical fitness test from school? I believe it was in the 6th grade that Reilly was unable to do a pull-up. The fact that she was unable to do even one, bothered her immensely. After the failed attempt, she went to work... at home, it was countless pushups. At the park, it was time spent on the monkey bars. Her perserverence paid off and in the 7th grade, she was able to complete one pull-up for the test.
2. She is 5'3 1/2" and weighs 88 lbs. She is all legs. Over the years, she has been my pickiest eater, but has recently made a conscience effort to branch out and try new things. One of her new favorite dishes is the Southwestern Salad. Yeah, I never thought I'd see the day that she would actually eat lettuce AND black beans. Go figure!
3. She is my only child who actually reads for enjoyment. I think that she would say that Stephanie Meyers is her favorite author, but she reads a variety of things.
4. She is a busy girl, but a girl who needs down-time, as well. She is active in soccer, softball, TKD & basketball. She also enjoys spending time with friends... but not TOO much time. She is definitely my child who needs time to herself.
5. She loves to shop and buy "cool", trendy outfits, but prefers to wear athletic clothing. This drives me nuts, but only because she comes by this sad fact naturally;)
6. This year, her eyesight changed dramatically. She went from wearing glasses only to watch tv and to see the boards at school, to pretty much all of the time. At the last appointment, the eye doctor suggested contacts. Unlike Sydney, she got the hang of them rather quickly, and now wears them daily.
7. She wanted me to let you know that she LIKES mechanical pencils, but does not LOVE them. A couple of years ago, I wrote about her love for mechanical pencils and she evidently has not forgotten this (click here for offending post). She requested that I not mention anything random or weird... which makes writing this extremely difficult for me:) She IS 14, though, so I'll TRY to abide by her wishes!
8. She is meticulous when it comes to her room, but no longer anally so... every once in a while, I will find clothes (in a neat pile) by her dresser on the floor. She also is the only one in the house who makes her bed every day. When I want someone to help me organize or deep clean something, she is my girl. I'm sure that my father is ecstatic that the McD. clean gene is not going to die with him:)
9. She is addicted to Ensure and will still occasionally horde cake rolls in her dresser drawers.
10. She is the only one of my children who will sit down and watch tv with me on a regular basis. I'd like to think it's because she likes that quality time and stimulating conversation that we have about the programming, but deep down I know the truth. I will only allow her to watch certain shows (Glee, 16 & Pregnant, etc.) if she watches them with me, so that we can discuss.
10. Favorite songs right now: "Ridin' Solo" by Jason Derulo, "Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner, "Forever and Always" by Taylor Swift, "Bigger" by Justin Bieber
11. Favorite restaurant: Shakespeare's Pizza
12. Favorite Sports Figure: Yadier Molina
13. Favorite Movie: The Blind Side
14. She's beautiful inside and out and we love her very much!!!

Happy Birthday, Reilly!

3 comments:

Terri said...

Happy birthday, Reilly! Why do I think #9 is going to get you "the look"? :-)

CrazyDeb said...

She is one beautiful, fantastic, amazing young lady!!

Erin Danielson said...

I don't know you Reilly, but I'm in High School now and reading about you made me think of myself, and what I was like in 8th Grade. I am extremely organized and goal oriented. I do the same thing with shopping and sports clothing. :) I just wanted to say I think you will really do well in life. Organization is key in High School. Happy Late Birthday and remember to keep some time for yourself.. I kind of forgot about that until I read your Blog. Life gets hectic, but it's nice to have family to fall back on and some time to yourself. Thanks.